With Diwali round the corner, its that time of the year when houses are cleaned, sweets and savories are made and houses are decorated with lights.
The aroma of food, snacks and new clothes with lots of lights and crackers . I love Diwali and things related to this festive. The lights, the preparations, cleaning of houses, kids holidays transport me back to my childhood when we used to celebrate this festival of lights.
These days snacks are store brought by many as they are pressed for time or just being plain lazy. Gone are the days when snacks used to be made in big sambadams( huge steel dabbas) and shared with friends and relatives.
I am old school , I like making snacks and sharing. I feel yearly once the efforts we put in goes a long way. 🙂
Today I am sharing Wheat flour Chakli recipe.
Makes around 20
- Wheat flour: 2 cups
- Rice flour: 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Butter: 1 tbsp
- White sesame seeds: 1 tbsp
- Coriander Powder: 1 tsp
- Red Chili Powder: 1 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder: 1 tsp
- Water as needed.
- Mix the flours well. Take in a vessel with tight lid or alternatively you can tie ina white cloth and place in a vessel and cover it and steam in a idli cooker/ steamer/ pressure cooker without whistle for 20 minutes. Don’t add water or allow water to enter this flour mix.
- Once steamed, they will be thick, break them with a spoon and sieve them thoroughly.
- Add the spices, butter and rub them, then add water as needed and make dough of medium consistency. Not too hard not too soft.
- Take the chakli mould place the star plate, fill with dough and press in a wax paper. Alternatively you can press directly in oil too.
- Cook in a low/ medium flame till golden brown. Keep flipping sides to ensure even cooking.