One of my favorite snack. Though I make Kande Pohe regularly this one has fond memories. This is the first snack I prepared for my hubby after marriage. 🙂
I was running out of lemons and for the tanginess I used tamarind water and he loved it absolutely. :D. With a promise to make the same for his box the next day he went to office. Those were golden days. Wish I could go back in time and relive them again.
Here is the recipe for this aval(Poha) variation. I am sure you will love this too.
- Poha: 1 cup (Use the thick variety for best results)
- Tamarind water: 1/2 cup
- Peanuts: 1 tbsp
- Onion:1 finely chopped
- Potato: 1 finely choppped
- Oil: 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves: 5-6
- Green chilies: 1-2 (depending on the heat prefered)
- Salt to taste.
- Turmeric Powder: 1 tsp
- Sugar: 1 tsp
- Coriander Leaves : 1/2 cup finely chopped
- Coconut Shavings: 2 tbsp
- Wash the poha and discard the water.
- Soak the tamarind in little water. Squeeze nicely the water and discard the pulp.
- Heat a pan, add oil when hot add peanuts. Fry till golden brown.
- Add the mustard seeds, when they crackle, add green chilies, curry leaves, and onions. Fry till golden brown.
- Add the potatoes,turmeric powder, salt and tamarind water.
- Cook on a low flame till the potatoes soften. Add the rice flakes at this stage, add salt, sugar and mix nicely.
- Garnish with coriander leaves, coconut shavings.
- Serve hot.