Sambhar makes way in my cooking once in a week. I am not a Idli Sambhar person. I love chutneys more. So very rarely I make this combination, but whenever we make this I make it a point to enjoy relishing. 🙂
Pretty easy way to make sambhar with fresh ground spices and tomatoes and goes well with even rice. So all you need to do is make this sambhar, a curry/poriyal and appalam and your lunch/ dinner/ breakfast side dish woes are sorted. 😀
- Tuvar Dal : 1/4 cup
- Tamarind: 1 lemon sized one
- Tomatoes: 1 medium sized
- Hing: a pinch
- Salt to taste’
- Jaggery: 1 tsp
- Tomato: 1
- Coconut:2 tbsp
- Coriander seeds: 1 tbsp
- Chana Dal: 1 tbsp
- Dry Red Chili: 2
- Ghee: 1 tbsp
- Rai/ Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves: a spring
Chopped Coriander Leaves
- Wash and pressure cook the tuvar dal in water for 3 to 4 whistles.
- Soak the tamarind in hot water and squeeze 1 and 1/2 cup water. Discard the pulp.
- Heat a pan, a tsp oil and roast coriander seeds, chana dal and red chillies till aromatic.
- Add one tomato and hing and allow to cool.
- Along with coconut, grind the spices and tomato with little water to a fine paste.
- Heat a heavy pan, add “To temper”, the remaining one tomato chopped and the tamarind water.
- Cook till the raw smell goes and the water reduces.
- Add the tuvar dal, ground paste and give it a nice stir.
- Add salt, a little jaggery and bring it to boil.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.