Come summers and the season of making Vadams and Karuvadams start. The main reason to make this in this summer is of course the blazing sun. Proper heat is needed to make this and store. This stays good for a year or two if dried properly and stored.
Making them involves little hard work, but they taste much better and are very cheaper to the exorbitant prices they get sold in market. Nothing tastes better than home made snacks. This time I too learnt making them from mom, as always she used to make and send across. With them aging, I wish these recipes and practices don’t lose their values, so for kiddo to know and enjoy homemade sides I learnt this and now involving him to help. 🙂
Mom got me a Vadam Thattu (Stand ) on her recent trip to Coimbatore. You need the stand to make this. Alternatively you can use the banana leaf and make too. I used the stand to make.
- Raw Rice: 2 cups
- Sesame Seeds (White): 2 tbsp
- Salt: to taste
- Green chilies paste: 1 tsp (see notes)
- Soak the rice for 6-8 hours. Drain the water and grind in a mixer till smooth.Add salt to taste.
- Keep it aside for 4-5 hours, mom says it will become a little sour which will enhance the taste. You can choose to make directly too. Add the green chili paste.
- The consistency should be of dosa batter. The batter shouldn’t be too thin as then it would keep sliding off.
- Heat the cooker with water, when the starts boiling, take the steel/ banana elai and spread like dosa as thin as possible.
- Steam in the stand like idlis for 5- 7 minutes.
- Peel them carefully and place them in a plastic sheet. Do the same for the remaining batter.
- Allow them to dry completely for 1-2 days. and store them in airtight container.
- Fry or microwave as needed and serve as evening snack with a cuppa chai/ coffee or as a side dish with rice.
Use Red Chili powder if you like in place of green chili paste .The color then would be a slight red. For the paste just grind a couple of green chilies and add.
Don’t grease the elai. Its not needed.
You can make this in evening and dry it under fan overnight and then can place in the sun too. A day or two in sun should be enough.