One of the most famous Gujarati snack , that makes a wonderful breakfast and evening snack option. The main ingredient here is the sour curd. It really enhances the flavor of the dish. Today I am sharing the gram flour version shall soon share more yummier versions.
Just make sure you use the Eno fruit salt. Don’t skip that as it helps the Dhokla rise.
- Besan ( Gram Flour): 1 cup
- Turmeric Powder: 1 tsp
- Sour Curd: 1 cup (See Notes)
- Eno Fruit Salt: 1 tsp
- Green chili paste: 1 tsp (See Notes)
- Salt: as per taste
- Sugar: 1 tsp
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Curry Leaves: a few
- Mustard Seeds: 1 tsp
- Water: 1 tbsp
- Coriander Leaves: 1/4th cup
- Coconut Shavings: 1/4th cup
- Take the gram flour ,dilute the sour curd with little water and mix well without lumps.
- Add turmeric powder, salt, sugar and green chili paste.
- Set aside for minimum 30 minutes.
- Add the fruit salt and mix gently. We don’t want to lose the bubbles much.
- Pour in a round bowl or idli molds.
- Steam for 12- 15 minutes on medium flame.
- Give tadka/ temper with the “to temper”ones. Add water after the seeds crackle and you switch off the gas. Using spoon pour gently over the dhokla.
- Garnish with Coriander and coconut gratings.
- Slice in pieces and serve.
Beat the curd with 1/4th cup water and dilute it.
Green chili paste is grinding a couple of green chilies in a mixer.Use a little coriander for easy grinding and yummy taste. Alternatively you can use red chili powder in the tadka and pour.