A couple of days back checked the posts from Sharmi and Shaantram aunty on Coconut Thangai Podi. These and some left over coconut oozing oil fired me up to try my hand out at my own variation of this classic. Thank you awesome ladies for sharing such a wonderful recipe. the pictures had me drooling. 🙂
I tweaked this a little to suit, my taste. With minimum ingredients, this podi tastes heavenly and can be eaten with rice or idli/ upma/dosa.
Go ahead try it you know you want to..
- Coconut Grated: 1 cup
- Urad Dal: 4 tbsp
- Red Chillies: 4-5
- Red Chili powder: 2 tbsp ( I used the Kashmiri Chili powder as it gives nice vibrant color)
- Garlic Pod: 2-3
- Sugar: 1tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Heat a pan, add oil, urad dal, garlic pods and red chillies.
- Roast them all in a low flame till the dal turns golden brown.
- Transfer them in a plate and in the same pan dry roast the coconut for 4-5 minutes.
- Cool and grind them. While grinding, add the roasted ingredients, red chili powder. Add the coconut in the end, add salt, sugar and whip for a few seconds just for blending them well as coconut if grinded more would start leaving oil.
- Cool in an air tight container. Stays good for a week.