A very healthy and interesting twist to Palak Dal given by South Indian TamBrahms (Tamil Brahmins) .Mom used to make this for sure on Amavasai day, when she used to avoid cooking using tamarind. A spoon of ghee topped its heaven for me in every bite. Pair it with a simple lemon pickle/ thogayal/ Thayir Khicadi/ Puli Inji this one becomes one of the most soul satisfying meals. Healthy and full of nutrition’s, we make this often.
Try this and I am sure you would love this.
Palak washed and cleaned: 2 cups
Moong Dal: 1 cup
Grated Coconut: ¾ th cup
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Red Chili: 1-2
Salt as per taste
Coconut Oil: 1 tsp.
Mustard Seeds: 1 tsp.
- Pressure cook the moong dal. Keep aside.
- Bring water to boil add turmeric, salt and the palak leaves for a couple of minutes. Wash in cold water.
- Puree the palak and the coconut, cumin seeds and red chili into fine paste. Either paste together or separately.
- Mix them with dal and bring them to boil, check for salt seasoning.
- Heat a pan, give tadka and pour over the molguttal.
- Serve hot with any side dish of your choice.