This is my mom’s recipe. Whenever she has excess coconut she makes this podi. One of the best ways to use up the coconut when it becomes old and can’t be used for cooking. Also the coconut waste after extracting coconut milk can also be used for this podi.
Sprinkle this on your dosa, idli, upma or mix it with rice and ghee. It tastes awesome. The best part is it can be sprinkled over the curries like bhindi fry/ aloo and a new twist can be given to the veggie.
Do try this, I am sure you won’t be disappointed.
Here’s the recipe:
Coconut: 2 cups
Urad dal: ½ cup
Chana Dal: ½ cup
Red Chilies: 6-7
Tamarind: small lemon size
Salt to taste:
Hing: a pinch
- Roast urad dal, chana dal and red chilies on a low flame. Add hing to it.
- When it turns golden brown transfer the contents to the mixer jar, allow to cool. Add tamarind piece.
- Roast the coconut till golden brown and allow cooling.
- Grind the dals roughly, and add the coconut. Add salt as needed and grind a little smooth. Not, much as the coconut will start leaving oil.
- Cool and store in an air tight container.
PS: We sprinkled over crackers and ate.