A very famous South Indian rather Palakkad delicacy is Adai. We love this food. Healthy and nutritious as the batter is made using dals and rice. Fermentation not necessary. And tastes heavenly when paired with Avial/ chutney/ jaggery/ podi.
Do try this. Its easy to make and filling too.
Boiled Rice: 1 cup
Dosa Rice : 1 cup
Urad dal : 1/4 cup (I used Black split one)
Chana dal: 1/4 cup
Tuvar dal and Moong dal: a fistful each
Red chilies: 6-8 (see notes)
Pepper: 1 tsp
Curry Leaves: 20
Salt to taste
1.Wash and soak all the rice and dals, chilies, pepper together for a couple of hours.
2. Grind coarsely with curry leaves and salt.
3. Keep aside for sometime to ferment or use immediately. Fermented ones will give a nice tangy taste.
4. Heat tava, wipe it with oil and then spread the batter in a thick round with medium flame.
5. Drizzle lots of gingelly or sunflower oil and cook for 3-4 minutes on low flame. Turn the adai and cook for same 3-4 minutes for crisp ones.
6. Serve Hot.
7. Use up the batter or refrigerate .Stays good for 3-4 days.
Red chilies, i used half bedgi and half spicy ones. The color ones give nice red color. You can reduce the spicy ones and increase pepper too.