One more simple poriyal that goes well with Sambhar/ Rasam. This one is served in almost all weddings. I haven’t seen much wedding without this. One of my favorites and mostly paired with sambhar, this one is a must try. Although, very simple the coconut oil and the curry leaves make it more flavorful.
Here goes the recipe:
Cabbage: 1 cup
Carrots, beans, peas ( all mixed) : 1 cup
Grated coconut: 1/2 cup
Green chili: 2-3 (Adjust as per spice level)
Coconut oil: 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal : 1 tsp each
Curry leaves: a spring
Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste.
- Chop all the veggies. Wash, drain n keep aside.
- Make coconut and green chili paste.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan , add “to temper” items.
- Add the veggies, turmeric powder and salt.
- Mix well, add little water and cook in medium low flame for 20 minutes.
- When the veggies are cooked, add the coconut paste, mix well .
- Serve hot with sambhar/rasam and appalam.
Tip: You can slit the green chili and add to tadka and add the coconut shavings for garnish. Tastes good either ways.