Left over rice can be cooked in different ways. They work like a charm in making variety rice because they are cool completely and the grains separated. One such variety rice is making “Phodni Bhaath” , meaning tempered rice with spices and a squeeze of lemon. Adding veggies make it more nutritious and tasty. Makes a great option for lunchbox when pressed for time, also requires minimal effort. Pairs well with any raita or even chips.
Here goes the recipe:
Cooked Rice: 1 cup (Any rice will work)
Veggies :1/4 cup (any would do)
Onions: 1 finely chopped
Green chili: 2 slit
Curry Leaves: 8-10 leaves
Turmeric Powder: 1 tsp
Pav Bhaji Masala: 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil: 2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds: 1 tsp
Hing : a pinch
Coriander leaves : 1 handful for garnish
Lemon juice of half a lemon
- Heat a pan, add oil, add “to temper”, fry for a minute, slit chili and onions and sauté till translucent.
- Add the turmeric powder, salt and veggies( i added bhindi and carrots) and cook till crisp.
- Add rice, pav bhaji masala, lemon juice and mix gently till well blended.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.Check for salt.
- Serve with raita or chips.