Everything instant these days catch our attention. 😛 I keep looking for easy side dishes/ recipes for breakfast and paranthas. Since tomatoes are cheap and the nice red ones looks tempting, thought of making this pickle. This is one such side dish. Can be made in advance and goes well with dosa/idli/upma etc.
Here’s the recipe:
Tomatoes: 8- 10 Medium sized ones
Tamarind: 2-3 small pieces
Red Chili powder (Kashmiri): 2 tbsp
Red chili powder (for spice) : 2 tbsp (adjust as needed)
Salt to taste
Oil: 3 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Hing a pinch
- Chop the tomatoes finely.
- In a wide pan, add a tbsp of oil add the tomatoes,tamarind pieces, salt and cook for around 10 minutes on low flames till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Allow it to cool and then grind them for a few seconds.
- Heat the same pan, add oil and “To temper” Items and the grind tomatoes and spices.
- Cook well n low flame till oil separates.
- Store in a glass container and use a dry spoon to serve.
- Refrigerate. Stays good for a fortnight.