Everything instant these days catch our attention. 😛 .I keep looking for easy side dishes/ recipes for breakfast and paranthas. Since tomatoes are cheap and the nice red ones looks tempting i thought of making this pickle. This is one such side dish. Can be made in advance and goes well with dosa/idli/upma etc.
Here goes the recipe:
Tomatoes: 8- 10 Medium sized ones
Tamarind: 2-3 small pieces
Red Chili powder (Kashmiri): 2 tbsp
Red chili powder (for spice) : 2 tbsp (adjust as needed)
Salt to taste
Oil: 3 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Hing a pinch
- Chop the tomatoes finely.
- In a wide pan, add a tbsp of oil add the tomatoes,tamarind pieces, salt and cook for around 10 minutes on low flames till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Allow it to cool and then grind them for a few seconds.
- Heat the same pan, add oil and “To temper” Items and the grind tomatoes and spices.
- Cook well n low flame till oil separates.
- Store in a glass container and use a dry spoon to serve.
- Refrigerate. Stays good for a fortnight.