There are days when simple breakfast sets mood for the day. For me this is one such breakfast. I love poha, the traditional Maharashtrian breakfast. Simple, nutritious and filling. It makes a nice evening snack too. Doesn’t take much time to put together. There are many versions of making this , the most famous being “Kande Pohe”. These days people make with adding veggies too.
Today I am sharing the no onion no garlic version of this versatile dish. I make this often when I am in no mood to chop onions :P. The potatoes fried gives a nice bite to Poha along side peanuts. 🙂
Here’s the recipe:
Thick rice flakes (Pohe) : 2 cups
Onions finely chopped : 2
Potato finely chopped: 1 (optional)
Curry leaves: a spring
Oil: 2 tbsp.
Peanuts: 1 tbsp.
Mustard Seeds: 1 tsp
Green chili: 2 finely chopped
Lemon juice: of 1 lemon
Coriander leaves: finely chopped: 2 tbsp.
Grated Coconut: 1 tbsp.
Nylon sev: for garnish (optional)
- Wash the poha and discard the water.
- Heat a pan, add oil when hot add peanuts. Fry till golden brown.
- Add the mustard seeds, when they crackle, add green chilies, curry leaves and potatoes. Fry till potatoes brown on the edges and are crunchy.
- Add turmeric powder, salt and some of the lemon juice.
- Cook on a low flame till the potatoes soften. Add the rice flakes at this stage, add salt, sugar and mix nicely.
- Add the remaining lemon juice and garnish with coriander leaves, coconut shavings.
- When serving, in a plate add the poha, garnish with sev and serve hot.
- Serve with coriander chutney or just plain like i did. It tastes yum both ways. 🙂