Winters call for comfort food. So does lazy days, when all we want to do is, well laze around, read a book, curl on a bed doing nothing. There are days when after festive eating’s too all we crave for is a simple dal rice meal. Maybe with Diwali round the corner, this one should be bookmarked for, after all the loaded oil, ghee snacks we would like to have something that’s simple on the tummy. 🙂
Also is a good, comfort food for bouts of cold, fever as this one has all the nutrients, to make you feel filled as well as light on stomach too. 🙂 OK, enough of my ranting let’s move to the recipe:
Rice: 1 cup
Onion: 1 medium sized chopped
Sprouts: 1/2 cup
Garlic : 2 pods
Peanuts: 1 tbsp
Green peas : 1/2 cup
Curry leaves : 8 – 10
Green Chilli : 3 chopped
Red chilli : 2 table spoon
Asafoetida (Hing) : a pinch
Oil +Ghee: 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds: 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds: 1 tsp
Cinnamon: 1 inch
Water: 2 1/2 to 3 cups.
Coriander leaves: 1 tbsp
Ghee: 1 tbsp
1. Soak rice in water for 30 minutes. Drain the water and keep aside.
2. Heat a pressure cooker. Add oil+ ghee, cumin seeds,mustard seeds,hing, bay leaf, cloves and cinnamon. Sauté for 10 seconds.
3. Add the garlic pods, slit green chilies, peanuts, curry leaves and onions . Fry till the onion turns translucent.
4. Add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, sprouts , green peas and fry for a couple of minutes.
5. Add the drained rice and salt, garam masala powder and sauté for a minute.
6. Add water and mix well, bring it to rolling boil.
7. Pressure cook for 3 whistles and open after pressure subsides.
8. Garnish with coriander leaves and drizzle a spoon of ghee and serve with any raita/ papad/ pickle.
You can add water more if you want it more watery.