With festive seasons around and too much of sweets and savories being eaten, the craving for simple food becomes more intense. With Navratri coming ,many houses follow the no onion no garlic cooking. This is one such recipe. Simple,full of nutrition and easy to cook. Also, doesn’t require much ingredients.
This is one poriyal that goes well with rasam, sambhar or any kozumbu. The sweetness of beets and the spice of green chili makes this an awesome combination. Also tastes well with rotis and dal.
Here goes the recipe:
Beetroots: 2 cups chopped finely.
Grated coconut: 1/2 cup
Green chili: 2-3 (adjust as per spice levels needed)
Salt as needed.
Coconut oil: 1 tbsp (optional but recommended)
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Urad dal: 1 tsp
Curry leaves: 1 spring
Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
- Wash the beetroots, peel the skin and chop medium fine.
- Heat a pan, temper with ” to temper” .
- Add the beetroots, turmeric powder, water and salt.
- Keep the lid and cook till the beetroot is cooked.Alternatively you can pressure cook the beet roots for a whistle and them temper and garnish with coconut.
- Grind the coconut+ green chili and add this dry paste to the beetroots when cooked.
- Serve hot with any rice/ rotis.
Note: While making for kids, you can reduce the green chili or just skip the grinding part. Just add grated coconut and serve.
Recipe remains same ,only add slit green chili with the tadka and skip the coconut part.Although coconut adding enhances the flavor, you can skip in case you don’t have.