Today being Adiperukku, also known as Pattinettam 18th day of the auspicious Aadi month. Adiperukku is a unique South Indian especially Tamilians celebrate this day with variety rice.
Today I am sharing the recipe of Coconut Rice. Made Lemon Rice, Curd rice and Semiya Payasam alongside. This can be made quickly and doesn’t require much ingredients. All you need is some fresh grated coconut and rice and you are good to go with minimal tempering. This makes a good lunchbox idea too. Also left over rice too works well for this. 🙂
Cooked Rice: 1 1/2 cup
Grated coconut: 1 cup (fresh recommended)
Oil: 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds:1 tsp
Urad dal: 1 tsp
Chana dal: 1 tsp
Cashews: 1 tbsp (optional i haven’t added)
Peanuts: 1 tbsp (optional i haven’t added)
Dry red chili: 2 broken
Curry leaves: a few
Salt as needed
- Cook the rice with 2 cups water. Allow to cool.Keep aside.
- Heat a pan temper with “to temper” items.
- Add the coconut and roast on a low flame till nice aroma wafts. I roasted for 4-6 minutes.
- Add the rice and salt and mix gently and allow the flavors to blend for a couple of minutes. Keep the gas in low flame.
- Serve with appalams or chips
Note: The only tip for best results is using freshly scrapped coconut as it adds its own sweetness to the recipe.
Happy Aadiperukku to all.. May God bless you all always. 🙂