Raw mango pickles is a great accompaniment for all the breakfasts. I love to make pickles with them grated. But my mom, makes the most amazing cut ones too, hands down no one can come closer to the pickle with minimum oil and liberal taste. It is so tasty that it can be eaten all by itself. 🙂
Here’s my recipe for the thokku. Thokku although, requires a little more oil, but very tasty and is a great side dish for curd rice. 🙂 Also goes well with molaguttal.
- Raw Mango: 1 grated
- Oil (Gingelly): 3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds: 2 tsp
- Hing: 1/2 tsp
- Salt: as needed.
- Jaggery: 1 tbsp (optional)
- Red chili powder: 2 tbsp.
- Grate the mango and keep aside.
- Heat a pan, add oil mustard seeds, hing, allow to crackle.
- Add the grated mango,red chilli powder, salt and jaggery.
- In a medium / low flame allow to cook till they form amass and oil leaves.
- Store in a glass bowl. Use as needed. Make sure to use a dry spoon.
You can skip the jaggery if you don’t like the sweet flavor in pickle. The addition although, take the flavors to another level.