This is also one of the side dish for molguttals. Also a dish in itself, it can be mixed with rice and ghee and any curry as sidedish this too makes a complete meal. There are many variations and they can be made using veggies or combination of dals. Many think this and chutney are same. But there’s a difference in both. Although both look a little similar, the additions of dal/veggies makes them different.
- Fresh Scraped Coconut – 1 cup
- Urad Dal – 2 tbsp
- Chana Dal: 2 tbsp
- Dried Red Chillies – 2 or 3
- Asafoetida – small pinch
- Tamarind – small piece
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Heat a Kadai with oil.
- Add the asafoetida piece, once it puffs up well, add the dals and fry till golden.
- Also add the red chillies and fry till they turn bright.
- Add the tamarind and coconut and fry for 2 to 3 minutes on medium heat.
- Cool and grind along with salt and green chillies.
- Add a tsp or two of water and grind to a coarse paste semi solid paste.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Serve with plain rice, Molaguttal or curd rice.