This i had made for my hubby’s birthday. Was a big hit, thanks to its richness and mild flavor. Went well as a side dish for Rotis and rice. Great side dish for parties/ get together. 🙂
Although it looks very lengthy, trust me its very easy. All it needs is a little organisation and planning in terms of ingredients and chopping the veggies.Hope you try and like this.
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
½ cup shelled peas or frozen peas
1 large potato or 2 medium potato,
1 cup chopped cauliflower/gobi florets (optional)
For the korma:
2 medium sized onions, sliced or ½ cup thinly sliced onions
2-3 green chilies, chopped
½ tbsp ginger garlic paste
½ cup fresh curd
¼ to ½ garam masala powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chili powder
2 tbsp ghee
1 cup water or add as required
salt as required
For the royal paste:
1 tbsp. poppy seeds
10 to 12 almonds
10 to 12 cashews
1 tbsp melon seeds
¼ cup water for grinding to a paste or add as required
Whole garam masala:
2 to 3 green cardamom/choti elachi
2 star anise.
1 inch stick of cinnamon/dal chini
1 bay leaf/tej patta
For the garnish:
1 tbsp ghee
6 to 7 whole almonds
2 tbsp raisins
½ tbsp melon seeds
1 tbsp mint leaves
2 tbsp. Fresh Cream
Preparing the paste:
- Soak all the dry fruits and seeds in hot water for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Drain the remaining nuts-seeds mixture and also add them to the grinder jar.
- Add ¼ cup water and grind to a smooth fine paste. Add more water if required while making the paste. Keep this paste aside.
Preparing the korma:
- Heat ghee in a deep pan. Add all the whole garam masala mentioned above and fry till they crackle and become aromatic.
- add the sliced onions and sauté them till they turn golden
- Now add the ginger-garlic paste and chopped green chilies. saute till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
- Now add the nuts-seeds paste and curd. Stir well.
- Then add turmeric and red chili powder. Stir again.
- Stir and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes on a low flame. do stir often so that the mixture does not get stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Then add the mixed veggies. Stir.
- Next add 1 cup water. Season with salt. Mix very well.
- Cover and simmer the veggies till they are cooked.
- Once the veggies are cooked, add the cream and stir it with the rest of the korma, switch off the flame.
- Sprinkle garam masala powder. Cover and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a small frying pan.
- Sauté almonds till they turn a pale golden.
- Take them to one side of the pan and now add 10 cashews and sauté till the cashews turn a light golden.
- Now add 1 tbsp raisins & ½ tbsp melon seeds. Sauté for some seconds.
- Next add 1 tbsp. mint leaves. Ginger. Saute for half minute.
- While serving garnish the korma with the sauteed garnishing ingredients. Serve navratan korma with tandoori rotis/Naans/chapatis It also goes well with jeera rice/Pulav
1.Soak the poppy seeds, to ensure fine grinding.
2.Can add paneer to this for a more enriching korma. Just fry the paneer pieces and soak in water till further use and add before garnish.