Manchurian are a favorite with kiddos. It can be either added to the gravy and be used as a side dish for Fried Rice/ Noodles or eaten all by itself with or without sauce. 🙂 I start eating them even before adding it with gravy. :D. I prefer them crisp, just sprinkle come gravy above the balls for some more flavor and im good to go. It can be eaten all by itself as a starter too.
Today I am sharing the Dry version. Hope you like this.
Makes: 12 balls
Carrots: 1 medium chopped finely.
Spring Onions: a few chopped.
Capsicum: 1 medium choppped finely.
Cabbage: 1/2 cup finely shredded.
Corn flour: 3 tbsp
Maida (All purpose flour): 3
Black pepper :1/2 tsp
Salt as required.
Oil for frying.
For the manchurian sauce:
- ½ tbsp finely chopped garlic
- ½ tbsp finely chopped ginger
- ¼ cup chopped spring onions/scallions or onions
- ½ tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp red chili sauce
- ¼ tsp corn starch (optional)
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ to 1 tbsp chopped spring onions greens for garnish
- ½ tbsp sesame oil
- salt as required
Preparing the balls:
1. Take the finely chopped or grated veggies in a bowl.Add all the dry ingredients.
2.Gather the whole mixture and kind of knead so that the veggies leave water and you get dough like mixture.Sprinkle water if the mixture is too dry.
3.Take a small portion of the mixture in your hands. Make round veggie balls.
4. Heat oil for deep frying in a kadai or pan. Add a small piece of ball to the hot oil. If the balls does not stick or settle down at the bottom of the pan, but comes up steadily the oil is ready.
5. Gently place the balls in the hot oil. The oil has to be medium hot. Too much heat and the Manchurian balls will be browned from top and uncooked from inside. Less hot oil will make the balls absorb too much of oil.
6. Fry the balls till crisp and golden.
7. Place the fried veg Manchurian balls on kitchen paper towels. fry the veg balls this way in batches and keep aside.
Preparing the Manchurian sauce:
- In another pan, heat about ½ tbsp. of the same oil in which we fried the balls or ½ tbsp. of sesame oil. Add ½ tbsp. finely chopped garlic, ½ tbsp. finely chopped ginger & 1 or 2 green chilies, finely chopped.
- Stir and sauté for a minute on a low flame.
- Add ¼ cup chopped spring onions or onions.
- Stir and sauté till the onions soften.
- Now add the sauces – ½ tbsp. soy sauce, 1 tbsp. tomato sauce and 1 tsp. red chili sauce or green chili sauce. Stir very well.
- Keep the flame on the lower side and sprinkle ¼ tsp. corn starch. Adding corn starch is optional. Stir very well.
- Quickly add salt and black pepper as required. Stir again. After adding corn starch the sauce will begin to thicken, so one has to be quick.
- Then add the fried veg balls. Stir so that the sauce coats the veg balls evenly.
- Switch off the flame
- Serve the veg Manchurian hot as a starter snack garnished with some spring onion greens.
You can make the balls beforehand and place them covered in fridge till further use. Don’t fry and keep for long as it would turn soggy.
Add them to the gravy in the end so that it would be crispy too. I placed the balls over the Fried rice and then poured the gravy all over. Tasted just as great. 🙂