No South Indian meal is complete without at least a small helping of curd rice. Its THE important ritual most of the South Indians follow.I love curd rice/pickle combo. Can eat it everyday without getting bored. 🙂 A nice, spicy spoon of pickle does the magic for me. Its also a meal in itself if tempered and garnished with fruits and nuts. So today i am sharing the recipe for this yummy dish. Can be prepared before hand for parties/get together.
Here goes the recipe:
Rice: 1 cup
Curd: 3/4th cup
Milk: 1 cup
Sugar : 1 tsp
Salt: as needed
Ghee: 1 tbsp
Urad dal,chana dal, mustard seeds: 1 tsp each
Cashews and Raisins: 1 tbsp each.
Green chilies: 2 finely chopped.
Ginger: 2 tsp finely chopped.
Coriander leaves: a handful.
Pomegranate pearls: 1/4 cup
1. Pressure cook the rice with 2 n half or 3 cups of water. It should turn mushy.
2. Take the rice in a bowl, add milk and curd.Add salt and sugar.
3. Mix thoroughly adding milk and curd till you get desired consistency.
4. Temper with “to temper” items and add to the curd rice.
5.Garnish with pomegranate and coriander leaves.
6. Allow to sit for 30 minutes for the flavors to blend well.
Before serving, if it has become too thick,dilute by adding a little milk.Curd can be also be used just check that its not sour.