Everyday making a side-dish for the breakfast can be very cumbersome. For me, thinking alone makes me lazy. Although R (my kiddo) prefers Moluga podi as a side dish for almost everything, i thought it would be good if I start looking for some replacements :X
Tomato thokku goes well as a side dish for dosas,idlis and paranthas. There are many versions to make it. I tried this version after combining my mom and mother in laws recipe.Hope you give a try and let me know your thoughts.
Here comes the recipe:
Makes: 1 medium bowl.
Tomatoes: 10-12 medium ones.
Garlic cloves: 3-4 peeled (optional)
Pickle masala: 2 tbsp heaped (i used Bedekar’s)
Red chilli powder: 3 tbsp (add more if you want spicier)
Red chillies (roasted): 6-8
Salt to taste
Oil: 1/2 to 3/4 th cup
1.Halve the tomato and de-seed the eyes.
2.Add them in a pan and steam them without water for 8-10 minutes.
3. The skin should be peeled off and transfer it in a mixer jar.
4. Add the red chillies (roasted) and grind.
5. Keep aside 1 tbsp and add the rest of the oil, add puree and start sauteing it in low flame.
6. Add the pickle masala, red chilly powder and salt.Let it cook till it starts leaving oil.
7. Heat the oil kept aside and pour it above the pickle after transferring it in a glass bowl/ jar. This would help the pickle stay fresh for longer.
Needs to be refrigerated and use a clean dry spoon. Stays good for around 15 days.
Adding garlic is optional.
In case you want to add tamarind, add while grinding. I didn’t add.
More chilly powder can be added if you want it more spicier.
Use a deep pan for making this as it splutters a lot.