Today I am going to share a breakfast recipe. As they always say “Breakfast like a King”. Holds so true. I always prefer having a good breakfast .Its the first and the most important meal of the day.
Today the recipe i bring is of Rava Khicadi. Now this also is from the family of upma but it’s more smooth and has a melt in mouth texture. Filling and has all the nutrition of ghee,cashews,veggies.(Should be consumed in little proportions) if worried about the fat content. I feel its ok to cheat once in a while. 😀
Over to the recipe:
Rava / Sooji / Semolina – 1 cup
Water – 4 cups
Salt – As needed
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp.
Coconut Grated: 1 tbsp (optional)
To temper & saute
Cooking oil – 1.5 – 2 tbsp.
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp.
Urad dal – 2 tsp.
Channa dal – 2 tsp.
Big onion – 1 no
Tomato – 1 no
Curry leaves – 1 spring
Green chilies’ – 3 – 4 nos
Peas – 1/8 cup
Ghee – 1 tbsp.
1. Roast the rava till nice aroma arises. Keep aside.
2. Slice the onion &chop the tomato and green chillies finely.
3. In a kadai, heat the oil and add ghee. Temper mustard seeds , urad & channa dal. Sauté till golden brown.
4.Now add the chopped onions, curry leaves, green chillies & saute till onion turns transparent. Lastly add the tomato pieces & finely chopped vegetables. Sauté everything till tomato mushes completely.
5. Now in the meantime, boil 4 cups of water. Add salt, & turmeric powder.
6. Bring the water to roil boil and add the rava and close the kadai with a lid for a couple of minutes.
7. Open once and stir nicely. And close the lid and let it cook for 5-6 minutes on a very low flame.
Serve hot with chutney/sauce/pickle of your choice.
Ghee can be added a little more or less for the texture. You can skip oil and make in only ghee and vice versa.
You can also add veggies (carrots, cauliflower, beans).